Currently, the Elden Ring is receiving a lot of love worldwide. But recently, users have been facing a common issue with the game. The context is that the Elden Ring keeps crashing randomly. This issue has been a common problem among gamers, and if you are here, you are probably among them as well. But we have brought all the possible reasons and fixes to eliminate this problem quickly. Here are some instant solutions to try.
Elden Ring Keeps Crashing | All Causes & Fixes
Elden Ring is a heavy game that demands a lot of system resources while running. If your system cannot fulfill the game’s requirements, it might crash repeatedly. However, there might be other reasons why the game is crashing.
Elden Ring Demanding High Resources
Elden Ring is a heavy game with an incredible graphic display to give its users a fantastic gaming experience. But such high graphics demand a lot of PC resources to run smoothly. If your PC cannot fulfill the demand for such high graphics resources from Elden Ring, it might cause the game to crash frequently.
Therefore, you must consider lowering the game’s graphic settings to medium or even to the lowest level for a smooth gaming experience. Yes, reducing the graphic settings might not give you the best gaming experience, but at least it would prevent the game from crashing.
Here is how to successfully reduce the game graphics settings to prevent Elden Ring from crashing.
- Open Elden Ring and go to the “System” option
- Go to “Graphics” section
- Choose the game to run in fullscreen mode
- Select the “Resolution” option and choose the appropriate resolution according to your PC
- Change the Quality Settings to low if you have a very low-end PC; otherwise, leave it to “Custom”
- Now navigate to “Advanced Graphic Settings” to make some more changes, if require
Here are the recommended changes you must consider making in your “Advanced Graphic Settings” if you have a medium or low-end PC.
- Texture: Medium
- Anti-Aliasing Quality: Low
- SSAO: Medium
- Depth of Field: Off
- Motion Blur: Off
- Shadow Quality: Low
- Lightning Quality: Medium
- Effects Quality: Medium
- Volumetric Quality: Low
- Reflection Quality: Low
- Water Surface Quality: Low
- Shader Quality: Low
- Global Illumination Quality: Medium
- Grass Quality: Medium
You must consider adopting these basic settings when Elden Ring keeps crashing randomly. Hopefully, these settings solve your problem to help you have a fantastic gaming experience.
Verify Elden Ring Game Integrity
A game like Elden Ring has a lot of files that make it possible to run the game together. If even a single file goes missing, it can cause Elden Ring to crash repeatedly. Therefore, you must consider reverifying your Elden Ring files in order to fix the issue immediately. But how will you do that? You can simply verify your Elden Ring game integrity on Steam by following the step-by-step procedure below.
- Open Steam and go to library
- Search for “Elden Ring” and right-click on it
- Go to “Properties” and choose the “Local Files”
- Click on the “Verify Integrity of Game Files” option
Steam will take a few minutes to verify the integrity of game files. Once done, restart Elden Ring, and your issue should be fixed now. Elden Ring would not crash anymore and give you an incredible gaming experience.
Outdated Operating System
Another reason Elden Ring keeps crashing is that your operating system might not support it. Developers roll out game updates at frequent intervals, and these updates are meant to be in accordance with the latest operating systems. Therefore, if your operating system has gone outdated, Elden Ring might not be able to do the processing efficiently and would ultimately crash.
To fix this issue, you must update your operating system and see if the issue gets resolved. Here is how you can do it.
- Click on the Start menu and go to the settings panel on your PC
- Scroll down to the last option, “Windows Update,” and click on it
- Click on the “Check for updates” option, and your PC will look for any available updates
- Once the updates are available, click “Install Now”
- Wait for a few minutes for the updates to get installed successfully
Now, restart your system and then restart Elden Ring. Hopefully, your problem is fixed and Elden Ring should not crash anymore in the future.
Delete Temporary Files From Local Storage
As you go through the game and encounter different stages, equip new weapons and armor, there are temporary files created in the local storage of your system. Although these files don’t impact the PC much, when there is a huge chunk of files accumulated in the PC it can be dangerous.
These files accumulated over a long period of time, load the game, and therefore Elden Ring might be crashing too frequently. So what can be done to fix it? You will have to delete these temporary files. Worry not, they won’t have any negative impact on your game progress or PC. So how will you do it? Here is a step-by-step guide on how to delete these temporary files.
- Open the Start menu and click the Windows + R key to open the run dialogue box
- Search for TEMP in the dialogue box that appears which will display all the temporary files and folders available on your system
- All these temporary files are the ones that have loaded your system and caused Elden Ring to crash; select and delete them
- If the system prompts you about the deletion of any particular file that cannot be processed, skip it
- Now open the run dialogue box again and search %TEMP%
- A folder opens, delete all the files inside the folder
- Once again open the run dialogue box and search “PREFETCH”
- If any folder opens up, delete the files inside it, if not leave it
That’s it, you have successfully deleted all the temporary files from your system. Further, restart your system and open Elden Ring. The crash problem should get fixed now.
Update Graphic Drivers of your system
Graphic drivers play an extremely important role when running heavy games that have very high graphics. In such a case, you must ensure that your device has the latest updated graphic drivers. Since if your graphic drivers lack behind in any manner, it might be the prime reason why Elden Ring keeps crashing randomly. Moreover, it can also cause other such games to crash frequently.
Therefore, you will need to update your GPU drivers by following the steps below.
- Right-click on the start button and choose the “Device Manager” option from the menu
- Click on the drop-down arrow beside the “Display Adapters” option
- Here you will see the available GPU driver of your system
- Right-click on the name of the GPU driver and from the menu choose the “Update Driver” option
- A new dialogue box will appear, choose the “Search Automatically for drivers” option
Your system will now search for any available updated driver online and download it to your system. This might take some time. Once done, restart your system and then run Elden Ring. Hopefully, it should stop crashing from now onwards.
Disable Steam Overlay on Elden Ring
Steam usually runs in the background while you play Elden Ring. But its overlaying on Elden Ring causes the game to crash. This is because, when running in the background, Steam uses a lot of system resources and therefore Elden Ring is left with nothing for it to run smoothly. Thus, the system keeps on trying to run the game and it keeps on crashing on a loop.
So, you will need to disable the steam overlay option and it will definitely fix the issue. This is how you can do it.
- Open Steam and go to the Library option
- Your list of games will be displayed here; search for Elden Ring and right-click on it
- From the menu that appears, choose the “Properties” option
- Now uncheck the “Enable the steam overlay while in-game” option that appears
Steam will now be disabled from overlaying on Elden Ring. Apart from this, if there is any other software that is allowed to overlay on Elden Ring, you must disable it too. After this, restart Elden Ring and your problem should get fixed now.
Other Common Fixes | Elden Ring Keeps Crashing
If none of the above fixes worked out for you, you must surely be irritated. But worry not, we have some other fixes that you can try if your Elden Ring is still crashing on loop. While these are the most common ways to fix a problem, you can consider them the last option to adopt if nothing works out for you. So let us go with them in sequence.
Update & Restart Steam
Restarting Steam is an efficient way to fix the Elden Ring crashing issue. A lot of users earlier got rid of this issue by restarting Steam. Although, if you are playing Elden Ring through any other software then this fix isn’t for you.
Here is how you can successfully restart Steam.
- Open Steam and from the button that appears in the right corner go to settings
- Now look for the “Beta Participation” option and click on the “Change” option below it
- Now select the “Beta Update” option and click OK to continue with the changes
- Select the restart steam option that appears there on the screen
Steam will now automatically relaunch and it might take a few minutes to do so. Once done, restart Elden Ring after this and your issue should get fixed now.
Reinstall Elden Ring
The header might have made you go crazy. We understand that Elden Ring is a very large game and installing it multiple times isn’t an easy task. But when nothing works out for you, it is better to reinstall the game rather than tolerate it crashing again and again and degrade your gaming experience.
Therefore, it is recommended to save your game progress and uninstall the game along with all the external files and resources. Download the game again as you did it for the first time. You can simply uninstall it using the control panel and install it again from Steam.
Alternatively, we recommend that you reinstall Steam as well so as to eliminate any issue that might have occurred with either of them.
FAQs | Elden Ring Keeps Crashing
Why does Elden Ring crash when I change equipment?
This is a pretty common issue faced by players. The reason behind it is that your PC is unable to cope with resources demanded by Elden Ring and therefore when you change equipment, a heavy amount of resources are required that make the game crash. Ideally, you can try to lower the graphic setting of the game and it might fix the issue.
Why does Elden Ring keep freezing and then crashing?
While there can be many reasons behind this problem, one of the most probable ones is that there might be an app overlaying Elden Ring. Due to this reason, Elden Ring might not be able to utilize the system resources completely, and is freezing and crashing.
Will Elden Ring run on low-end PCs?
Elden Ring demands a high-end PC to function smoothly. Although, if you have a low-end PC, you can play Elden ring by changing its graphic settings to the lowest. Still, it will drain out your PC resources and load it heavily.
Conclusion | Elden Ring Keeps Crashing
These are all the possible fixes you can try out if your Elden Ring keeps crashing randomly. However, you must ensure that your PC has the capability to fulfill the requirements of Elden Ring. Elden Ring demands very high graphics and running it on a low-end PC is not advisable. Even if you change the graphic settings of Elden Ring it might still lag and crash down.
Apart from this, if your PC is well enough to support Elden Ring and still the game keeps crashing, you can try the above fixes. If nothing works out we recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the game as a final alternative.
Into Gaming? Here’s more for you: